New licensing procedure
In order to further prepare NoSpamProxy for hybrid and cloud deployment scenarios, version 13 and higher will no longer require the familiar import and regular replacement of the license file for maintenance extensions. Instead, all license information is made available in a secure database in a cloud service. NoSpamProxy installations access this cloud service at regular intervals. In this pull procedure, only information about the NoSpamProxy version used and the operating system is transmitted to the manufacturer.
With the conversion of the licensing procedure in preparation for NoSpamProxy version 13, we have introduced various improvements.
- All licenses are managed in a central and secure database and are therefore always up-to-date.
- When purchased via providers such as ALSO Cloud Marketplace, the monthly and user-specific purchase of NoSpamProxy can now also be automatically implemented without repeated sending and importing of new licenses.
- Discrepancies between orders and issued licenses are immediately noticeable and can be clarified.
- By sending the unique link to a license certificate that is always available online, no PDF file sent as an attachment can be lost.
- The license certificate now also contains the customer’s current maintenance period – as desired by many partners.
- The licensing of the Sandbox service is also evident in the certificate.
- The familiar PDF file with the certificate can, for example, simply be generated by the standard “Print to PDF” printer on all Windows clients.
Calculation of license values
All values are measured over a period of 90 days, except the value for the Sandbox for which a period of 30 days is considered. All values are aggregated based on users, if possible. If an assignment to users is not possible, each email address is counted individually. The email addresses stored under “Configuration > Email routing > Corporate email servers” are also taken into account. This also applies to emails that are sent from an external source but are still sent with the company’s own email domain.
- Protection module: Number of outbound emails
- Encryption module: Number of addresses that signed and/or encrypted at least one email via S/MIME or PGP or sent PDF Mails
- Disclaimer module: Number of addresses with applied disclaimers on emails
- Large Files module: Number of addresses for which attachments were processed by large files
- Sandbox: Number of addresses whose associated emails contained files that were uploaded to the Sandbox
On our GitHub page https://github.com/noSpamProxy/Reports/tree/master/Get-NspLicenseReport you will find a script that gives you an overview via Powershell. Alternatively you can use the included Powershell CmdLet
Procedure in case of licensing problems or sublicensing
Should licensing problems occur with individual customers of partners after the switch, these will be issued as a warning in the NoSpamProxy console and sent to the administrator via email. Several warning levels and sufficient reaction times are allowed for (several weeks) in order to clarify discrepancies. In no case will there be immediate functional restrictions or standstills in the processing of emails. The following causes could be the reason for reported license problems:
- Since licensing is based on the number of actual users and NoSpamProxy can only recognise the number of different email addresses from which emails were sent, a high number of functional mailboxes can lead to the tolerance of 20% being exceeded. In this case, the customer must subsequently license through the reseller.
- Due to company growth or other factors, the number of users is higher than the number of licensed users. In this case, you can offer your customers a one-time discount of 40% on the EVP until 30 June 2019. You will be able to take advantage of your usual partner conditions for the special price. For necessary maintenance extensions or adjustments, the normal conditions apply.